Community Based Corrections
Third District Facility in Sioux City, IA
Community based corrections emerged in Des Moines in the 1960’s with a pretrial release project. In the early 1970’s, this was expanded to include presentence investigations, probation and pre-institutionalized residential services. Simultaneously, programs began to develop across Iowa in urban centers. In 1974, legislation was passed establishing community corrections statewide as locally administered programs funded through and monitored by the Department of Corrections.
The Department of Correctional Services within the Third Judicial District is one of eight judicial district correctional programs currently existing within the State of Iowa. These are the end result of statewide development of correctional programs with the objectives of providing total services at the community-based level to correctional clients, the court system, and ultimately, the public.
The Department of Correctional Services, as it exists in our district, was formed in 1976 and 1977. The District provides the usual historic services and, in addition, some innovative and functional services that you can learn more about by visiting other areas of our website.
Third District Facility in Sheldon, IA
Who We Are
Third District Staff
Utilizing Evidence Based Practices and accountability to improve client outcomes and create opportunities for safer communities.
Values and Beliefs
- To advocate for the health, safety, dignity, and rights of clients, by holding them accountable while assisting them to achieve a pro-social lifestyle.
- Supporting our diverse and innovative staff to uphold team work and staff safety while encouraging individual growth and achievement.
- To promote public safety by managing resources in the most efficient, effective and practicable manner.
- Collaborating and building partnerships with other community agencies to enhance client success.
- To monitor and evaluate programs for general effectiveness and achievement of Department goals.
Where We Serve
We provide services to 16 counties in Northwest Iowa:
Buena Vista, Cherokee, Clay, Crawford, Dickinson, Emmet, Ida, Kossuth, Lyon, Monona, O’Brien, Osceola, Palo Alto, Plymouth, Sioux, Woodbury
Click on a county below to learn more about it.
Third District Map